The State Scientific Institution “V.A. Belyi Metal-Polymer Research Institute of National Academy of Sciences of Belarus” is an academic scientific and engineering center consisting of 10 research departments and a special design bureau with pilot plant “Metal-polymer”.
The Institute was founded in 1959. Today it manages a highly qualified staff of over 330 employees, among which are more than 50 specialists with D.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees.
MAIN DIRECTIONS OF SCIENTIFIC INVESTIGATIONS (Regulation of the Bureau of Presidium of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus No. 193 of April 28, 2005):
- Physico-chemical fundamentals of developing composite materials based on organic and inorganic polymers;
- Surface physics, chemistry and mechanics, analysis of contact interactions, friction, wear and lubrication in engineering and biological systems.
THE INSTITUTE RUNS:
- Post-graduate and senior doctorate course in the subjects: «Physics of condensed state», «Friction and wear in machines», «Materials science (Mechanical engineering)».
- Specialized Council for conferment of Ph.D. and Dr. Sci. degrees in the following fields: «Physics of condensed state», «Materials science», «Friction and wear in machines».
- Section of the Scientific Board on novel materials at the International Association of Academies of Sciences «Polymer materials».
- Belorussian Republican center of probe microscopy;
- Tribological testing center of composite materials and lubricants.
LABORATORIES ACCREDITED WITHIN THE SYSTEM OF BELARUS STANDARDS COMMITTEE
- Climatic testing of polymer and composite materials;
- Acoustic testing.
THE INSTITUTE PUBLISHES:
- International journal «Friction and Wear» in Russian and English (6 issues/year). Editor-in-Chief is Academician of NASB, Prof. Sviridenok A.I.
- Scientific and engineering journal «Materials, Technologies, Tools» in Russian (4 issues/year). Editor-in-Chief is Correspondent Member of NASB, Prof. Pleskachevsky Yu.M.